
When I was a teenager, I recall walking behind my friend Caroline's house where they had a fairly large garden with a good variety of vegetables. I'd walk between the rows of fresh food, pluck off a pea pod and pop the tasty peas into my mouth. So yummy. And I'd do it again because you can't stop at one or two. I was impressed by the care they took to make this garden such a success, using compost from a large pile I remember so clearly, and I'm betting they used eggshells to fertilize with from the chickens they kept as well. I don't know how much time and effort was used, but I think of this one when I imagine my own successful garden.
I am getting anxious for a new season of gardening. I can't wait for fresh peas, especially. I have never grown peas before. All I know about it, is I have to start much earlier than with tomatoes. Someone told me that in our area we should plant the seeds before St. Patrick's Day. But I have a problem. I don't know which peas to plant. I want the best tasting fresh peas out there! And I really want my kids to love them! Right now, they think that peas are the most disgusting vegetable ever. So I have to find a great tasting fresh pea.
I'm going to the local nursery today to find out what type they recommend. And I will hope they're right!
My next challenge will be keeping the plant alive long enough to enjoy them. I tend to kill things (except weeds - can't kill them for anything!) Wish me luck!
2 comments:
Yum! Good luck on the pea gardening. How are things coming?
I planted two varieties of peas; One with the pods you can eat. And I got them in before St. Patty's Day, yay! I hope the snow doesn't hurt anything.
Post a Comment